Wednesday 9 January 2013

New.

It is beginning to feel real.

I have moved. Having stayed in one place for a over 5 years, I had forgotten how strange it is to move. How disorienting it is. A life somewhere is built, put together piece by piece. Yet, in the time it takes to drive a U-Haul trailer from BC to Saskatchewan, I live somewhere else. It takes longer than a couple weeks for that to truly translate.

But, piece by piece, I will build a new life here. One away from Atangard, away from the rain and the ever-green grass and mountains. Having moved from place to place quite a few times, I know that I carry with me the places and people I have left behind; that they are not behind me, not really.


And so, Saskatoon. A city with a river. With all the adjustments that moving brings, this time is a little different. It is the first time I have moved back to Saskatchewan after a long time away. I wondered if it would still feel like home, moving to a different city than the one I grew up in.It did. This landscape is home to me, just as much in winter as in the summer. The skies are just as vast and beautiful and it feels just as good as it ever has to be back on the prairies. They welcome me back with unabashedly open arms, just as they always have. 
A few resolutions for this upcoming year:1. When I find a recipe I love - write it down on a recipe card! This will mean much less scouring the internet to find that recipe I made one time.2. Write more letters.3. Search for peace in meaningful way.




Happy New year's everyone! I hope yours was lovely.Beth




1 comment:

  1. To my dear friend, hello. Your new home looks as warm and inviting as all the others before this. You make a nice bed. Welcome back to the prairies. May the wind and the light remind you daily of the richness of life. Do you feel settled in? Thinking of you now as I write from Leo's table in the dim morning light.

    Love meg

    ReplyDelete